top of page

May 2022 History Corner

by David Mostardi, Club Historian


Once Upon A Hillside: 25, 50, 75 and 100 years ago


May 1922

Social Meeting: A gala social meeting of the members of the Hillside Club was held on May 15, 1922. Its chief aim was to burn the mortgage which had existed upon the property for a number of years. The early gathering time was spent in a special greeting to the new members of the Club, who formed a receiving line. As all members wore cards bearing their names the informal reception proved one of introduction as well as greeting. Music by a trio of young girls helped make this period enjoyable.


When all had gathered a more formal part of the program took place with Mr. Frank M. Todd in charge. Acting with him on a committee were a number of the early members of the Club, those who had been interested in the building of the Clubhouse and the placing of the mortgage, and now were doubly interested in the event of destroying the piece of paper that had been before the Club for years.


After a brief talk by Chairman Todd, the honor of burning the mortgage, upon an altar provided for the purpose, was given to Miss Annie Woodall, for a number of years the treasurer of the club, a most ardent advocate of constantly paying all possible sums upon the mortgage. The little ceremony was appreciated by all present as a moment in the Club’s history. This was impressed upon all by an address by one of the ex-Presidents, Mr. Charles Keeler, who reviewed the organization of the Club with the story of its purposes and desires. Great credit for its success and growth in strength and purpose was given to the early members, particularly to Mr. Bernard Maybeck.


Telegrams from two former Presidents were read with expressions of regret at their absence and congratulations to the Club on having eliminated the mortgage.


May 1947

Fireside Meeting: This Fireside Meeting will be the Annual Meeting of our Club year. The usual reports of the several Officers and Committee Chairmen will be presented. Music and community singing will conclude the evening’s program.


Mr. Fred Flanders wishes to announce that selection of an official Hillside Club song will be made from several submitted. Those who have not given their song to Fred are asked to please do so, not later than Sunday afternoon preceding the Meeting. [Alas, the words and music to the winning song has not survived.]


May 1972

Work Day: Join us for rolls and coffee at 9:30 to gain the strength to work on the projects to beautify the clubhouse and grounds. There will be gardening, hauling, costume-airing, floor replacement, food preparation, and myriad of other odd jobs to tend to. Rejoice! No sanding or applying furniture polish to heavy old brown chairs! [The old oak chairs were sold off in February 1972.]


May 1997

The Club’s archive of printed monthly newsletters ended with the May 1994 issue. If you know of a source for any newsletters between 1994 and the Club’s renaissance in the early 2000s, your historian would love to hear about it!


Recent Posts

See All

History Corner - December 2023

Once Upon A Hillside: 25, 50, 75, 100, and 125 years ago by David Mostardi December 1898 The Hillside Club was born on 5 October 1898. No newspaper articles about the young Hillside Club could be foun

History Corner - November 2023

Once Upon A Hillside: 25, 50, 75, 100, and 125 years ago by David Mostardi November 1898 Hillside Club Meeting: The Hillside Club will meet tomorrow, Wednesday, Nov. 2 nd , at the resident of Mrs. Pre

bottom of page